View Single Post
Old June 7th, 2015, 17:12
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2

Dettori: My biggest thrill

Frankie Dettori says he is still struggling to come to terms with his Derby win yesterday after he clinched victory on Golden Horn.

Dettori won the Epsom classic on Authorized in 2007 but his career has been through plenty of troughs since, and victory on John Gosden's striking colt was his first in a British classic since Blue Bunting's 1000 Guineas win in 2011.

He was not given much of a chance to celebrate on Saturday, as he went on to ride at Lingfield where he picked up another winner, but Dettori enjoyed a party in Newmarket later in the evening and reflected further on Sunday morning.

Speaking to Sky Sports News HQ reporter David Craig, Dettori said: "I was telling my dad last night that in my 28 years in racing, that was the biggest thrill I ever had. He’s a great horse and it’s the best race in the world to win.

"Basically after that I was more or less dragged off the horse for press interviews, then I had a drink with The Queen and was whisked off to Lingfield for a winner there.

"I came home to a mad house with friends and family, and we had our celebrations. I’ll be honest, I didn’t have a chance to look at the race so I am looking forward to putting my feet up and let it all sink in – I still can’t believe it."

Dettori has won just about every big race in the world during his glittering career, but his hunger for the sport remains infectious even though he admits his retirement might not be too far away.

He added: "I’ve probably got five years left of my career so the years are running out. The Derby is a one-off, just once a year like the Monaco Grand Prix, Wimbledon or an FA Cup final, so you don’t get three or four goes a year.

"For that race you need a special horse and you also have got to do the right thing, and they all came together on Saturday for a fantastic day. Emotionally I was thrilled and I cannot put into words what I was feeling.

"I’ve had a great start to the season, I’m riding well but to think you are going to win the Derby is unthinkable. When it does happen, you've got no words to say how happy you are. It’s 280 years of racing history, it is the race everybody wants to win and I’ve done it – I’m just going to enjoy it now."

Dettori has been through plenty in the last five years, at one time looking set to hang up his saddle when he was banned for six months for taking a prohibited substance.

But he has enjoyed something of a career rebirth, partly thanks to his association as retained rider for Al Shaqab Racing, although it was in the black and white silks of Anthony Oppenheimer that he celebrated Epsom victory on Saturday.

And he feels more able to enjoy big-race victories now he is one of the veteran jockeys in the weighing room, having possibly taken things for granted in his younger years.

"I’ve had a colourful life. Ups and downs, but the last two or three years more downs than ups. This is a massive boost for my confidence and my life, and for my family as well because my kids are old enough to understand. To see the joy in their faces was fantastic," he said.

"I rushed off to Lingfield last night and when I walked into the track I got a standing ovation – I was just like – wow! How great the public has been, it shows the importance of the Derby. Sometimes you forget how racing is such a well followed sport and I really appreciate all the well wishes.

"I was meant to go to Goodwood today but I don’t think I am capable to ride a horse. You get to enjoy it more because you understand the importance of it. When you are young you just carry on.

"When you get the chance to speak to someone like John Terry you realise how important it is to win the Premier League, and it’s like that when you win the Derby.