View Single Post
Old July 16th, 2016, 22:01
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Default End of play (Day 3)

Our man Stenson who we tipped at 30/1 is looking good for the final day
Open leader Henrik Stenson is fully prepared for the head-to-head battle with familiar foe Phil Mickelson as he goes looking for revenge after being pipped to the Claret Jug in 2013.

Three years ago the American carded four birdies in his last six holes to win by three from the Swede, having beaten him into third place seven days previously in the Scottish Open.

Stenson has been paired with the left-hander numerous times since but having played with him at this year's Masters, the US Open, again at the Scottish last week and in the third round he is more than ready to take back something from the five-time major winner.

"There's always revenge," said the 40-year-old, who holds the 54-hole lead in a major for the first time after a 68 at Royal Troon lifted him to 12 under and one ahead of his rival.

"I was one of the guys who was up there at Muirfield and Phil won it very deservingly and made a great finish; four birdies on the last six holes.

"Yeah, it would be great to hand one back to him tomorrow, absolutely but as we know it's going to take some good golfing to do that but I'm certainly willing to give it a try.

"I've played a lot with Phil, especially this year. I don't know why we ended up every second week together.

"We played at Augusta, we played at US Open, we ended up playing together last week in the third round and there's been another couple at The Players so I feel like he's my playing partner.

"Obviously he's an opponent in the Ryder Cup and I've played a lot of golf with him so I know I'll have to bring my best.

"I would have had to bring my best no matter who I was out with tomorrow but certainly when you're playing someone like Phil.

"I know he's not going to back down and I'm certainly going to try to not back down either so it should be an exciting afternoon."

Only five years ago Stenson was in the second of two career slumps which saw him drop to 230th in the world but he has rebounded brilliantly.

Lifting the Claret Jug would cap a real roller-coaster ride for the likeable Swede.

"It would be massive. This is the one thing I'm looking for. It would be the icing on the cake," he added.

"It would mean that just little bit extra to win it in Scotland,

"But if I give myself a 50-50, it might happen, it might not happen.

"The sun will come up on Monday any way, hopefully - maybe not in Scotland but in other parts of the world and I will be back at the USPGA to try [again].

"I know I've got the game to win one of these championships or a few, hopefully by the end of my career, and I will just try my hardest."