Talk Sport Forums

Go Back   Talk Sport Forums > Football > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Gerrard clings on

Old June 22nd, 2014, 20:43
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Unhappy Gerrard clings on

Gerrard: No decision yet (Really, just go and take Rooney with you)

A "broken" Steven Gerrard is in no position to make an immediate decision on international retirement, with the England captain requiring a couple of weeks to contemplate his future.

Despite heading to Brazil more in hope more than expectation, few could have imagined the Three Lions' elimination would be confirmed before most teams had played their second matches.

Defeats to Italy and Uruguay were compounded by Costa Rica's victories over both of those sides, condemning England to a first group-stage exit since 1958.

It is a failure that has hurt skipper Gerrard and has brought forward the questions over his international future.

The 34-year-old Liverpool midfielder said in the build-up that he would make a decision whether to continue after the World Cup, but, with their exit confirmed, the subject came up before Tuesday's dead-rubber against Costa Rica.

"There's no truth that I'll be making any announcement within a week," Gerrard said. "I think I need more time.

"I spoke to the manager this morning and asked him for some time over the summer to consider me future. I certainly won't be rushing into any decision.

"I don't feel it is right to make a decision now or in a week's time. I am still hurting very bad. I'm broken from what has gone on over the last couple of weeks.

"So I need to get away, get on holiday and basically clear my head before I make that big decision."

Pushed on whether he had a hunch which way the decision was likely to go, Gerrard said: "Not at the moment. I need time.

"I have agreed with the manager that I will speak to speak to him in a few weeks' time.

"I need to speak to numerous other people who I respect, who will help me and guide me the right way to make a decision. But it is big and I will make it in due course."

Gerrard spoke alongside manager Roy Hodgson at a packed press conference at the Urca military base, where the midfielder hit back out at assertions the team had been too cosy.

"I understand there are going to be opinions all over the country, different opinions, some backing us moving forwards, some against us," he said.

"I totally respect that and I am not really in a position to fight some negative opinions at the moment.

"But I have to disagree that the squad has been cosy. We got worked very hard in Portugal and Miami and the preparation as a player certainly means there are no excuses.

"We did everything we can to be able to come out here and perform, do well, but unfortunately it hasn't happened."

Gerrard spoke well despite the circumstances, defending the quality of his team-mates, but accepting they "need to toughen up as a group".

The Three Lions skipper also dismissed claims from Harry Redknapp that certain individuals during his time at Tottenham tried to find ways of skipping international duty.

Gerrard claimed to have "never come across players like that" and highlighted the determination of the current crop, whom he knows owe it to the fans to get a positive result against Costa Rica on Tuesday.

"It is a very difficult time to be an England player at the moment," he said. "Everyone is hurting, everyone is disappointed.

"The message to the supporters is thanks for the support that they have given us, not just at the World Cup but over the last two years helping get us here.

"The players take full responsibility for not winning the two games so far. If there are people out there with strong opinions and want to point fingers and stuff, myself as the leader of this team will take full responsibility, take it on the shoulders.

"All we can do as players is stick together. We agreed before this tournament we would come in and work as hard as we can and try and fight for everything together.

"Now it has gone wrong, we have to shoulder that responsibility together. We can't allow it to just come on the manager's shoulders and coaching staff.

"We have to stand tall, be thick-skinned, take it and move on. The important thing is to think about the supporters and supporters only.

"They want a win in the last game and the players want that as well."
Old June 22nd, 2014, 23:05
Derby Winner

Looks like 'Lamps' will captain England for the last game
Old June 23rd, 2014, 14:34
Derby Winner

Talking Gerrard has lost the plot now

Redknapp won't name names

Harry Redknapp has refused Steven Gerrard's demand to name and shame the ex-Tottenham stars the Premier League boss claims skipped England duty.

Redknapp, now manager of QPR, claimed some English players asked him to pull them out of national games when he was in charge at White Hart Lane.

England captain Gerrard believes anyone who dodges international duty is wrong and he called on Redknapp to name the players in question.

It is not something Redknapp, who was Spurs boss from 2008-2012, is about to do.

Redknapp told Sportsmail: "I understand Steven's concern but I don't want to get into naming names because it wouldn't be fair to the players.

"Every Premier League manager past and present knows what I'm talking about.

"Probably even Roy Hodgson. But sadly this attitude is not unusual these days.

"You've only got to look at how many players pull out of an international game on Tuesday and Wednesday then are running about for their clubs the next Saturday to see that this is a very real issue."

Bennys view ... Jesus that Gerrard has lost the plot .. Everyone knows that managers over the years have let players miss internationals ..
Listening to Neil Warnock today on 'Talksport' he agreed with Harry ..
Problem here is Gerrard knows he's let down the England team, he should just shut up and hide away gracefully now he's over the hill and past it ..

Old June 23rd, 2014, 14:55
Derby Winner

Le Tiss: Claims no surprise

Redknapp told BBC Radio Five Live on Sunday that some English players asked him to pull them out of national games when he was in charge at White Hart Lane.

That does not surprise Le Tissier but, having won only eight England caps despite his prodigious talent and started only three of those games, he does not understand the mindset.

Also speaking on Five Live on Monday morning, he said: "I think there are times - especially when its friendly matches - where there are players who aren't that fussed about pulling on the England shirt.

"From that point of view it doesn't really shock me that he came out and said that.

"As someone who would have killed for more England caps, I never understood it, but it doesn't surprise me that it went on."

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard's desire to represent his country has never been in question but the midfielder's international career could be at an end after he asked coach Roy Hodgson for time to consider whether or not he will retire.

And Le Tissier said: "That decision has to be made by Steven.

"It depends on how his body feels. If he still feels fresh enough and still feels he can make a contribution why make that decision to retire?

"I don't know why as a pro footballer you'd want to retire (from international football) unless your body couldn't cope."

England's disappointing World Cup campaign and the possible exit of Gerrard and Frank Lampard, as well as full-back Ashley Cole before the tournament, will increase the focus on England's young generation as they embark on qualification for Euro 2016.

And in Gerrard and Lampard's midfield berths, Le Tissier is convinced Everton's Ross Barkley is the man for the future - and could even follow the pair in leading his country.

"You can see him being the hub of the England midfield for years to come," he said. "If he stays fit you might look at him as a possible future England captain."
Old June 23rd, 2014, 15:27
Ha'Way the Lads

Old June 23rd, 2014, 15:33
Derby Winner

hahahaha
Old June 24th, 2014, 19:17
talk sport tipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredeyes View Post

Suarez has told Stevie G not to worry about his purple bin as he will probably be home by Thursday to put it out himself.....
Old June 24th, 2014, 20:27
Derby Winner

lol ..unreal he is