Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

True Greats !!

Old February 6th, 2008, 15:42
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Default True Greats !!

Fans pay tribute outside Old Trafford.

TRIBUTES PAID TO BUSBY BABES

The Manchester United family have gathered to pay tribute to the fallen Busby Babes 50 years after the tragedy which claimed their lives.

Half-a-century to the minute since BEA Flight 609 ZU crashed on take-off from Munich Airport, the club marked the anniversary of their passing with a memorial service at Old Trafford.

There was a solemn atmosphere inside the stadium's Manchester Suite as survivors, football and civic dignitaries and invited guests arrived to pay their respects.

Outside on Sir Matt Busby Way, where a clock stopped at 3.04pm commemorates the events of February 6, 1958, thousands gathered to add their support and lay flowers.

Many wore modern-day shirts with the legend Munich 58 emblazoned on the back, while others sported the late Duncan Edwards' number six jersey.

The service was led by club chaplain the Reverend John Boyers and the order of service included a message from Prince Charles.

One of the early arrivals was former 'keeper Alex Stepney, a schoolboy of 15 at the time of the tragedy.

He said: "It's a sad day, but also a day to remember.

"I am very humble, I was 15 at the time and I remember how shocked everyone was.

"Little did I think or dream then that I would play for the team when they won the European Cup in 1968."

The tragedy happened as the United party returned to England from a 3-3 European Cup draw in Belgrade which had secured their passage to the semi-finals.

Eight United players died - Geoff Bent, Roger Byrne, Eddie Colman, Mark Jones, David Pegg, Tommy Taylor, Liam "Billy" Whelan and, 15 days later, Duncan Edwards - as a result of the injuries they suffered in the crash.

Three members of the club's staff, eight journalists, two of the flight crew and two other passengers also died.

Busby and Charlton were among the injured, but eventually returned to spearhead a remarkable recovery which saw the club claim the league title and the European Cup within a decade.

updated by benny ..True Greats

below fans at Old Trafford today
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 800_Man_U_fans_Busby_Babes_banner_634585.jpg (36.2 KB, 0 views)
Old February 6th, 2008, 15:50
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Default Duncan Edwards the best ever !!

Manchester United legend Sir Bobby Charlton has paid tribute to Duncan Edwards, describing him as "the best player" he ever played with.

Considering Charlton's illustrious career at Old Trafford saw him share a dressing room with the likes of Denis Law and George Best, it is quite some accolade.

"He was the best," says Charlton.

"Duncan Edwards, I unhesitatingly say, was the best player I ever played with.

"If ever I was asked to put together a team of the players I had played with he's the first one I would put in. There is no question about that. You would say that's only my opinion, but I totally believe he was the best player I ever saw or am likely to see."

Charlton's tribute brings home the enormous loss borne by club and country when the Elizabethan class Airspeed Ambassador charter aircraft G-ALZU Lord Burghley, otherwise known as Flight 609, crashed into the perimeter fence of Munich airport on February 6, 1958.

Eight United footballers were among the 23 who perished following that fateful crash, including captain Roger Byrne, David Pegg and Tommy Taylor, all England internationals.

But it was 21-year-old Edwards who Charlton believes was destined to become the greatest footballer who ever lived and who might well have led England to World Cup triumph in 1958.

"I never thought I could be as good as him," says Charlton.

"Never. Never. I've said before he was the only person I felt intimidated by."

Edwards and Charlton shared not just a dressing room but also a friendship and it is with genuine enthusiasm that the latter speaks of his former team-mate.

"I knew him more than anyone else, I was closer to him than anyone else. He had an enthusiasm for the game. He never stopped talking about it. He'd pick you up if you were losing. He was absolutely sensational, fantastic.

"There is a picture of a youth team at Old Trafford and he (Edwards) is twice as big as anyone else in the picture.

"Physically, twice as big. Add to that, he had every talent. He was the best short passer. He was the best long passer. He had terrific vision. His 60-70 yard passes with a heavy ball were pinpoint accurate.

"He was a great loss to England and he would maybe, in fact I would say probably, have played in the 1966 World Cup final because he was young enough."

updated by benny
below Duncan Edwards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DuncanEdwards_196835.jpg (13.1 KB, 0 views)