Talk Sport Forums

Go Back   Talk Sport Forums > General Sport Discussion > Talk Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TPC @ Sawgrass

Old May 7th, 2008, 08:04
Dedicated Punter

Default TPC @ Sawgrass

Hi All,

The TPC @ Sawgrass starts tomorrow in Florida - widely reknowned as the Tours "5th Major", the event is always worth watching as a spectacle, not least for the infamous 17th green - which from the tee looks like a postage stamp...and having stood on the tee myself, I know!!!

From a betting perspective, the event is theoretically more attractive with the fact that the TPC is Tiger-less...an operation keeping the phenom on the sidelines. So for a nice change, its not just a likely each-way value bet we can search for.

My idea of the winner at this stage is Jim Furyk. Around the 18/1 mark, Jim is one of the most accurate, consistent tee to green players on the circuit and has the stats to back it up, which is absolutely necessary at Sawgress. He has a very deft short game and while his putter can take some time to heat up, he can make enough putts to always keep himself there and there abouts at the business end of tourneys. He has a good record in past TPC's and has the big event temperament to do very well this time around.

For other players who will give you a very good run for your money and good e/w alternatives, with chances to turn your stake into a very nice payday, look at Hunter Mahan (75/1 Bet365), Justin Leonard (70/1) and Paul Casey (100/1). The first two again are very high on the greens in regulation and driving accuracy stats lists, with Leonard enjoying an Indian Summer of a season in his long and distinguished career. Hunter Mahan has a big win waiting to happen in him whilst Casey - a Brit based in America - keeping himself focused on the bigger events this season to continue his push for a Ryder Cup place and he was very much in the mix at the Masters until a final round mare - which at Augusta is very easy to do.

My bets/forecasts for the tournament then :

2 pts win Jim Furyk
2 pts e/w Justin Leonard
1 pt e/w Hunter Mahan and Paul Casey
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:05
talk sport tipster

Superb another golf backer.......i love a bet on the golf and i will have a little study later and post my selections...
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:30
lee

Good little write up mark well done i'll take a look a bit later
Old May 7th, 2008, 11:17
talk sport tipster

Yep superb write up just how we like it.

Lee and myself like a little punt on golf and we had a good run for our money at The Masters.
I like to look for the value pre tournie and then lay off on the exchanges if hopefully my picks shorten.
Old May 7th, 2008, 12:48
Dedicated Punter

Cheers guys,

I love my golf, whether playing, watching or just having a natter about it, and love nothing more than having a vested interest in events knowing ill be watching as much of the tourney as possible anyway.

Be interested to see what you make of the TPC and whom you tip up...but nice knowing i have compadres to do battle with over a game of sticks n balls!!!
Old May 7th, 2008, 18:25
lee

right having a look at the players and markets on the tpc i think there is some quite good value in this event
will post my views a tad later 1 to watch could be robert allenby as his GIR are only 2nd to tiger (i think) and this course would suit him but will have a good look and post up my selections
by the way allenby is about 50/1 so good e/w value
Old May 7th, 2008, 19:55
talk sport tipster

Default Heres my thoughts..............

Firstly this is one of my favs as anything can happen over the last few holes so if your up there on the last day you always have a chance.

Looking at the field its very open now Tiger isnt playing. For my sort of bets i prefer Tiger in as he keeps the prices a bit tighter and good for laying later in the tournie.

Well after a study i have five against the field at Laddies prices (although i will bet with the exchanges as you could get 10 or more points over Laddies).

STUART CINK...(20/1) Has been playing some consistant golf over the last few weeks 7 top ten finishes in his last 10 starts. Not the greatest of winners but i think he could be right there come Sunday afternoon on a course that rewards consistancy ahead of flair.

SERGIO GARCIA...(40/1) Been right off his game over the last 18 months but i think hes starting to get his game together again and with the help of his girlfriends father (Greg Norman) i think his putting is beginning to get somewhere near to what it was when he was winning consistantly.

SCOTT VERPLANK,,,(100/1) A player who has promised so much and has been right in contention at the big ones but has failed to deliver. He has always played well here and i think that this course provides his best chance to win big

STEPHEN AMES...(80/1) Overpriced as usual for a golfer who when he gets on a roll is as good as most of the top 10 (Tiger being the exception). I have backed him a few times and although he has never won for me has always given me a good run and i have been able to lay him off for a profit

HENDRIK STENSON...(40/1) Not a player i back very often but hes the man in form and if you take away his early departure from this years WGC matchplay his last events read...17th 3rd 6th 2nd 2nd and i think hes going to be my main bet in this and i hope his good form can continue on a course that suits his game and one where he has played well before.

Lets hope we get a good run for our money......good luck guys and enjoy..

We can keep up todate on this thread.
Old May 7th, 2008, 20:25
lee

had a good look and here's my picks only pick 3 or 4 normally so here goes robert allenby 50/1
vijay singh 20/1
ian poulter 100/1 (now thats value if he can play like he did at the start of augusta)
sergio garcia 30/1

prices at bet 365 as of 21:00
if ian poulter gets his act together i quite fancy him to finish in the top 5
i try and hold off til the 1st round is over to see how the players and course is playing
Lee
Old May 7th, 2008, 20:26
talk sport tipster

Sergios 40s on Laddies...
Old May 7th, 2008, 20:28
lee

cheers for that Tony i'll back him there then