11:46
Talk Sport Forums

Go Back   Talk Sport Forums > General Sport Discussion > Talk Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

NFL Season 2008/09

Old August 4th, 2008, 09:54
Dedicated Punter

Default NFL Season 2008/09

...is almost upon us, and im currently in a frenzied state of excitement, while my fiancee is in abject despair, as she knows very soon I will be totally (blissfully) ignorant of her existance every Sunday from 6pm onwards, as I am glued to Sky Sports watching 6/7 hours of non stop live NFL coverage.

I am a die hard Washington Redskins fan and have been for over 20 years now, since I saw the 1984 Superbowl between the Redskins and the Raiders...being a 12 year old pup I picked the Redskins to win (i liked their colours) and watched them get trounced 38-9. I knew then they were my team, fitting in nicely alongside my other total losers teams of choices - Derby County, Derbyshire CCC...the list goes on.

But, as always, I remain loyal and fervant in my support, and unlike the Rams they have given me cause to celebrate with 2 Superbowl winning seasons and plenty of other highlights.

Personal support aside, I love the NFL and think it a very value ridden market from a betting perspective. 6/1 the field for this years Superbowl, where the defenduing Champions, the New York Giants, are currently 20/1. The favourites are the New England Patriots, who almost completed the perfect unbeaten season last year, losing their only game in the Superbowl to the Giants, but dont look as dominant this year. It is wide open, with at least a dozen teams having decent claims on the SB this year.

Weekly there is massive value to be had, with handicap bets being available on every game and I showed a handsome profit last season. The season kicks off properly in 4 weeks time, between now and then though all the teams play 4 pre season friendly games against other teams....dont rely too much on these but there are clues to be gained. I will post my thoughts/observations, but if there are any NFL'ers around...please post your thoughts too and lets get some banter going....unless you're a Cowboys,Eagles or Giants fan....in which case beggar off and tread consistently in dog poo cause I really dont like you.....and never will.
Old August 4th, 2008, 15:21
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Default Shark.. me ol mate !!

Ever since Joie Pendleton ('Warren Beatty') climbed out of the 'well' (resurrected from the dead) in the film 'Heaven can Wait' and got to the stadium just in time to throw 80yds for a winning touchdown for 'The Rams', ive loved the game !!!

Come on Warren ...... Come on you L A Rams
benny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shanebrugherathumb.jpg (9.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 200px-Heaven_can_wait_poster.jpg (16.6 KB, 1 views)
Old August 4th, 2008, 15:27
Dedicated Punter

Just the fact you've replied with such a loving, sentimental memory of NFL and the joy it can bring mate will make me gladly forgive you for not knowing that the LA Rams are no more and they are now the St Louis Rams and have been for well over a decade now......but who cares....they are still the Rams...and thats a fine team to support, whether it be English or American football....

Old August 5th, 2008, 00:13
Derby Winner

Default ha ha ha

oh f~~k...ive benn rumbled
Old August 5th, 2008, 07:30
Dedicated Punter

Hehehe...people say to me quite often "how comes you dont support the Rams in the NFL as well as the Rams at soccer" but it dont work like that...anyway mate, rumbled or not, you've got an association there, so thank you for posting....just a damn shame the current St Louis Rams are about as successful as the Rams of last seasons Premiership....

Current prices to win the Superbowl 2008/09

New England Patriots 5/2
Indianapolis Colts 7/1
San Diego Chargers 8/1
Dallas Cowboys 9/1
Jacksonville Jaguars 14/1
New Orleans Saints 20/1
New York Giants 20/1
Philadelphia Eagles 20/1
Seattle Seahawks 20/1
Minnesota Vikings 25/1
Pittsburgh Steelers 25/1
Cleveland Browns 33/1
Green Bay Packers 33/1
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 33/1
Denver Broncos 40/1
Tennessee Titans 40/1
Washington Redskins 40/1
Arizona Cardinals 50/1
Carolina Panthers 50/1
Chicago Bears 50/1
Cincinnati Bengals 50/1
Detroit Lions 66/1
Houston Texans 66/1
Baltimore Ravens 80/1
St Louis Rams 80/1
Buffalo Bills 100/1
Kansas City Chiefs 100/1
New York Jets 100/1
Oakland Raiders 100/1
San Francisco 49ers 100/1
Atlanta Falcons 200/1
Miami Dolphins 200/1

On first inspection of these, I would say a standout price is the Minnesota Vikings at 25/1 (prices quoted are Laddies). The Vikings are as low as 16/1 elsewhere and the reason I like this price is twofold :

1. Minnesota have the most explosive RB in the NFL in Adrian Peterson, who will run over many defences this season and will probably end up the leagues #1 TD scorer of the RB's and gain the most yards.

2. There is a saying in the NFL : Offences win you games, Defences win you Championships. Well, Minnesota's Defence is ranked #1, and in the offseason they have strengthened it even more. They are in the weaker NFC, in a pretty weak division, and a shoe in for the post season - a very strong candidate to be the NFC representative in next years SB, and with E/W paying out at half the odds for just getting to the SB, I think Minnesota at the moment are standout.
Old August 6th, 2008, 18:00
Oldham’s premier stud(retired)

Default film 4

"heaven can wait" now
Old August 6th, 2008, 18:05
talk sport tipster

yep good film Herbie............
Old August 11th, 2008, 08:22
Dedicated Punter

The first round of pre season games took place this weekend, and there have been a couple of big name "transfers" as well as injuries that will affect certain teams chances/odds.

Firstly, Brett Favre has come out of retirement and was traded by Green Bay to the NY Jets, which saw their long time #1 QB, Chad Pennington, move to divisional rivals and last years whipping boys the Miami Dolphins. Neither trade will impact heavily on the Superbowl picture, though a better season for Miami is expected and i think Pennington will be a good fit for them, while there may be a knee jerk reaction to the Jets chances because of the Favre effect, but they are still a long way short of the NE Patriots, who are also in their division, as well as many other AFC teams. But the 100/1 on the Jets may well go soon.

The Denver Broncos have lost their rookie RB sensation to injury. Denver have a habit of producing starlet RB's who come from seemingly nowhere and then run defenses ragged - they had got one primed to be unleashed on the NFL this season, but Ryan Torain's elbow break means he will miss most of the season and this will seriously damage Denvers chances in the AFC West. This is good news for the San Diego Chargers, who should win the division comfortably now, with their main rivals being weakened - it should be noted also that the Chargers beat up the Dallas Cowboys this weekend and their own banged up QB, Phillip Rivers, made a successful return and looked very sharp.

Of the rest, Peyton Manning-less Indianapolis slipped to another defeat against Carolina, and the rumours are that Manning wont be ready for the start of the season. The effect this will have on the Colts cannot be understated and I would leave them alone hugely for now.
Old August 11th, 2008, 11:23
Derby Winner

Thumbs up

Keep the info coming sharky, great post..
Old August 11th, 2008, 12:49
talk sport tipster

Default I used to be an avid watcher of NFL...

But over the last few years i havnt really followed it...I always looked out for the Cleveland Browns (god knows why) and was wondering how they have been doing over the last couple of seasons and if maybe they have a chance for some Super Bowl glory this season....