14:01
Talk Sport Forums

Go Back   Talk Sport Forums > General Sport Discussion > Talk Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Ryder Cup....Starts Friday...

Old September 15th, 2008, 10:21
talk sport tipster

Default The Ryder Cup....Starts Friday...

For one week Louisville Kentucky will not be known for being the birthplace to one of the greatest sportsman ever Mohammad Ali but for hosting the 2008 Ryder Cup at Valhalla.

Europe go into this match as firm favorites having won the last three cups and five of the last six. Nick Faldo one of the all time greats of european golf captains the Europe team and Paul Azinger captains America.

This is the 37th Ryder cup and promises to be as close as most have been over the last ten years with both teams looking strong at the top end but lacking cup experience towards the bottom.

The Americans are without the worlds best player in Tiger Woods and it will be interesting to see if this has a good or bad effect on the team as much has been made over the last few Ryder cups about how he has beeen influencing decisions made by the captains.

Europe are without Colin Montgomaire who failed to make Faldos pick and also missing is Darren Clarke..now this could come back to haunt Faldo come Sunday as both of these players have been the backbone of the european team come the singles.

The foremat changes slightly this year with the Americans choosing to start with Foresomes instead of the usual Fourballs on the first morning...but whatever way these matches are played i think we will be in for a thrilling finish.

The course has been set up for the big hitters with Azinger hoping this suits his players better then that of europe...This is something i dont think will give an advantage to either team as both have great ball strikers and as usual the winning of the cup will come down to team selection, the short game and of course the players holding their nerve best.

It would be great to hear all your thoughts and also who you think will be victorious come Sunday evening....

Old September 15th, 2008, 12:10
Dedicated Punter

Now I quite like Ian Poulter.... but I think his inclusion over and above Montie and Darren Clark is strange, got to say I would have gone for Darren Clark as he seems a real team player and can influence big games.

As ever I think this will be a close affair, and hope that Europe can edge it, they have in the past played more as a team than the individuals of the USA, and I can not see this changing. However, If Europe do not go into the singles with a lead, I can't see them winning overall.

Ok, I hope that Europe will win.... It will be close, so I'm going for a tie (and hence Europe retain the cup) or Europe by .5

What ever happens, it will have us on the edge of our seats for most of the weekend.
Old September 15th, 2008, 12:29
talk sport tipster

Default Good points Lee...

I think the big problem Faldo had was that Darren Clarke hadn't played much on tour until the last few months and Monty has been on the whole awful all season this allowing a few lesser names to get in towards the bottom of the automatic selection....

Maybe we need to review our selection process and go like the Americans do with the top 8 and then 4 picks....would Clarke and Monty have got in then...? i think they would have and to be honest our team would have been a lot stronger even taking into account Montys form.
Old September 15th, 2008, 12:33
lee

Well me and some friends will be playing our own ryder cup well gloucester invitational lol but i think it won't be that close i think europe are far a stronger team than usa so go for a win by more than 5
Old September 15th, 2008, 12:47
Dedicated Punter

Poulters selection has been questioned by some in the media, probably Faldo haters, even though his world ranking is higher than both Clarke and Monty. I personally dont think that picking Monty was an option, even taking his incredible Ryder Cup Record into account. I feel sorry for Clarke as he is probably playing better than Poulter at this moment, but Faldo's picked his team and we have to support them.
We still have plenty of experience with Westwood Garcia etc and with the European rookies knowing the established players, this should enable them to settle in quicker and therefore an European victory by 2 points should be achievable.
Bally is Moor Hall GC any good? Playing it Wednesday
Old September 15th, 2008, 19:20
lee

PT if it's the one in sutton then yes i have played it a few years back if i remember it's not a massively long course but plays really hard due to the narrow fairways think it's a bit pricey you should go on yourgolftravel.com they have some cracking deals we got bed breakfast 3 course eveing meal 2 rounds of golf at the gloucester ramada for just over 80 quid another good course up this way is the welcome menzis at stratford superb course good luck for wednesday post your score
Old September 15th, 2008, 19:36
Dedicated Punter

Yes it is, thanks for the warning. Its a corporate freebie, overnight stay in the hotel, food, drink and golf, hard life but someone has to do it
Old September 15th, 2008, 19:52
lee

bloody hell thats a good freebie enjoy it mate just had a look at the hotel looks nice
Old September 15th, 2008, 22:01
Dedicated Punter

As long as the lagers cold and the bed warm, thats all I need. Will try to do myself justice playing off 11. Not played much in the last couple of years, probably need to get my handicap sorted. Got my excuses in already
Old September 15th, 2008, 22:31
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Default lol

Glk P_T ..mind ya back with the swing ....