Go Back   Talk Sport Forums > Football > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

'Act of Infidelity' - Unrepentant Evans

Old November 12th, 2014, 19:59
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Post 'Act of Infidelity' - Unrepentant Evans

Clough: Decision not 'rushed' - Nov 12 2014

Nigel Clough insists Sheffield United did not rush into their decision to allow convicted rapist Ched Evans to train with the club.

The Blades announced on Tuesday evening that the 25-year-old would train at his old club after a request from the Professional Footballers' Association to allow him the opportunity to rebuild his fitness.

Clough said on Sky Sports News H1: "I think everything has been deliberated properly, nobody has rushed into any decisions at the club.

"Everybody realises the gravity of the situation and seriousness of everything and that's why it has taken so long to even get to this stage.

"It has been prompted by the PFA and that's as far as it goes now.

"We deliberated as a club for some weeks and came to this decision. According to the law of the land he is entitled an opportunity to resume his career."

United's statement made it clear the club were "not prepared at this time" to make a decision on whether to re-sign Evans as a player.

And on whether allowing Evans to train at the club would lead to a potential deal at Bramall Lane, Clough added: "That's a long way from being true. The statement said that he is purely down to train with us and we will take it from there."

In a further interview with BBC Radio Sheffield, Clough said there is no timescale on when a decision will be made on whether to offer Evans a deal and doing so is not at the top of his things to do.

"It's nowhere near being decided as it said in the statement," he added.

"It goes in stages. How you can sign a player who hasn't played for two years and seven months? I don't think anyone is in a position to do that.

"We don't have a timescale on it, believe it or not it's not at the top of our priorities.

"We have four games in 10 days, two in the cup and two in the league, which will determine whether we are going to stay in those competitions and get back into the top six.

"That is our priority. Not a player who is training with us at the moment.

"I have no idea on the plan for him. The statement was just released yesterday, the next stage is sorting out some sort of training programme."

Clough admitted that he was consulted in the decision but refused to comment on whether he is in personal agreement with his club's decision, which has received widespread backlash and condemnation.

"Everything the club want to say at this time is contained within the statement," he said.

"It said at the bottom that the club won't be commenting any further and I will adhere to that.

"All the staff at the club have been consulted, as an employee, I have been consulted like everybody else."

Meanwhile deputy prime minister Nick Clegg has warned Sheffield United to "think really long and hard" before deciding whether to allow Evans to play for them again.

Clegg, who is the MP for Sheffield Hallam, thinks the club needs to consider what message they are sending to young fans with regards to their dealings with Evans.

"I think the owners need to think really long and hard about the fact that when you take a footballer on, you are not taking just a footballer these days, you are also taking on a role model," Clegg told LBC Radio.

"You are taking on a role model, particularly for a lot of young boys who look up to their heroes on a football pitch in a team like that, and he has committed a very serious crime.

"It is for the football club to decide, but I really do think that footballers these days, they are major public figures who have a public responsibility to set an example for other people.

"I'm sure that will weigh heavily in the decisions made by the owners of Sheffield United."

Paul Blomfield, the Labour MP for Sheffield Central who declares ownership of 100 Sheffield United shares on his website, says the Blades' decision is "dragging our name through the mud and dividing fans".

In an open letter to Sheffield United co-chairmen Kevin McCabe and Jim Phipps, Blomfield writes: "It's because I care so much about our club that I am writing to urge you to reconsider your decision to accept Ched Evans back to train with the team.

"The way this issue has been handled by the club is dragging our name through the mud and dividing fans. Yesterday's decision only makes that situation worse. I really hope that you will reflect further and change your mind."

Blomfield said people found guilty of serious offences such as rape had to recognise the gravity of their crime.

He added: "Since his release Ched Evans has not taken this first step towards rehabilitation, but has trivialised his crime by describing it as an "act of infidelity".

"So we are considering the case of an unrepentant convicted rapist.

"To take him back in these circumstances sends a disturbing message to young people and victims of sexual violence about how we view rape."

Evans, a former Wales international striker, was released from jail last month after serving half of a five-year jail term imposed in April 2012 for raping a 19-year-old woman in a hotel room in Rhyl, North Wales.

His return has been met with outrage by campaign groups, with the group End Violence Against Women Coalition saying it was "appalled".

Professional Footballers' Association chief Gordon Taylor said the union's role was to help their members even if they had been in prison.

He said in a statement: "As a trade union it is our role to offer help and guidance to all our members whether dealing with success or the utmost difficulties.

"It is a fundamental part of the justice system in this country and society in general that a person serves the punishment which the court determines is appropriate and, providing that has been done, an individual is entitled to be released to continue with his or her life.

"Needless to say, as part of that is a return to his or her career and that remains the case for professional footballers as it does for any other individual."

Taylor accepted the Evans case was provoking "strong feelings".

DBL Logistics, who are back-of-the-shirt sponsors for the Blades, said it would continue to offer its financial support for the time being, but would withdraw that should Evans be re-signed by the club.