09:02
Talk Sport Forums

Go Back   Talk Sport Forums > General Sport Discussion > Talk Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

British Open Golf 2012

Old July 14th, 2012, 17:30
talk sport tipster

Default British Open Golf 2012

Starts at Lythem St Annes on Thursday....

Post your selections here for us all to follow...

Old July 14th, 2012, 21:59
I am Titty fancier

I like Padraig Harrington,Lee Westwood,Thong Jaidee,Matt Kuchar but I also think theres atleast 60 others who have realistic chance of winning, the odds show how Open it is, think Padraig is back to form of a few years ago when he was winning majors and @ 20/1 is a great bet,
Old July 15th, 2012, 11:20
Dedicated Punter

Charl Schwartzel more often than not starts strongly ...so im going to look at him wednesday evening ( currently trading at 70 on betdaq) , with a view to backing and laying him off after day 1 .
Luke Donald is at the top of his game at the moment , so will be backing him e/w later today before the scottish open finishes .
And my other bet will be phil mickelson .
Old July 17th, 2012, 20:02
talk sport tipster

From what a few players are saying the roughs going to be a major problem....

Already Woods has said if you go into some places you will be dropping....

This course is going to suit the straighter hitters and with it not being too long im sure we will see a lot of players leaving their drivers in the clubhouse..

The greens are flat so that will suit the poorer putters

I wil be taking tomorrow to study the form etc and will post my selections tomorrow afternoon and hopefully some decent priced runners at good prices on the exchanges to give me some lay off value later in the tournie....

Old July 18th, 2012, 12:22
talk sport tipster

Looks like the weather is going to play a major part in this years open..

As usual a lot depends on what time your selection tees off as over the last few years the EARLY starters have had the advantage with the weather and this can be as much as three shots if the weather is kind to them...

Being a big hitter isnt so much of an advantage here as there ar four par 4's under 400yds so its all about being on the fairways and missing that rough or the large number of bunkers this course has...

The greens a alat with not a lot of undulation so even the poorer putters will have an easier time then they usually do..

A lot of players come into this out of form and that mixed in with a few amateurs means we can wittle the "winner" field down a bit...

I only se the winner coming from Europe or the USA as the South Americans,South Africans and especially the Far Eastern golfers will not have this in the favour.

So can it be TIGER or WESTWOOD,DONALD or even RORY that is lifting the claret jug come Sunday afternoon ?

Or will it be GARCIA,HARRINGTON or KHYMER who triumph..?

For me its NON of the above and my reasons to what i think can return us a profit are in the next post....

Old July 18th, 2012, 12:41
talk sport tipster

Right on with my thoughts to whos going to win some cash for us....

The prices shown first are from BET 365 and prices in brackets are from BETDAQ...

Golf is a great sport to bet on the exchanges as prices change quickly giving you the chance of making a few quid quickly if a selection is doing well...

So here we go...

JUSTIN ROSE @ 30/1 (36/1)...Has been consistant this season and is a player who never sems to give up. This course should suit his game and as long as he can hole a few putts will be in the mix come Sunday...

10pts to WIN

RICKIE FOWLER @ 35/1 (40/1)...This young American burst onto our screens a couple of years ago and found it hard to get his breakthrough win. But he did this year in a three way playoff and hes performed well since. Loves the links style golf as thats where he started and must be a genuine contender this year.

10 pts to WIN

THOMAS BJORN @ 80/1 (100/1)...Always played well in the open and should have won a few years back before getting into bunker trouble and handing it to Eles. Has been top 10 or better on six occasions and saves his better golf for this kind of challenge.

2.50 pts E/W 1/4 odds 6 places

NICOLAS COLSAERTS @ 75/1 (105/1)...Missed quite a while when injured but now back to near top class form. Very much underestimated and looks a lively outsider

2.50 pts E/W 1/4 odds 6 places

BEN CURTIS @ 90/1 (104/1)...Open winner and a player who has always prefered this style of golf that keeping your ball in play favours. Not very flamboyent but a steady player who i think is MASSIVE value.

5pts E/W 1/4 odds 6 places

CHAD CAMPBELL @ 200/1 (385/1)..Big Chad can play and has contested a few majors loosing the Masters in a playoff. Good showing last year and the windier it gets the better his chance..

1pt E/W 1/4 odds 6 places

Just two other bets for me ...

TOM WATSON @ 7/2...to be TOP SENIOR agains only another 5 players (bet 365)

CHAD CAMPBELL @ 60/1 E/W 1/4 odds first 4 places...To be TOP AMERICAN...

So thats all for now but i will be striking a few more bets as the tournie gets going....

Lets hope for a pick up or two and enjoy the golf.....

Old July 18th, 2012, 14:37
Dedicated Punter

"A lot of players come into this out of form"

£5 win Casey @ 540
Old July 18th, 2012, 21:12
I am Titty fancier

Casey ????????????????????????????????????????????????
send for the doctors, we have a mad man in our midst,I wouldnt have a penny on him @ 5,000,000,000,000 - 1, goodluck tho.
Old July 18th, 2012, 21:36
I am Titty fancier

my selections are justinterest bets as I think anyone could win this golf tournament, except Casey of course.
1. Padraig harrington @ 20/1
2. justin rose @ 28/1
3. fransesco molinari @ 40/1
4. louis oustihuizen @ 50/1
5. retief goosen @ 110/1
6. thong chaidee @ 150/1
7. joost luiten @ 150/1

also backing these as first round leader at similar odds,

first day 3 ball betting
jaidee @ 6/5
rock @ 11/8
rose @ 2/1
luiten @ 11/8
harrington @ evs
goosen @ 13/8

stinker bet ? perm any 4,5,6 @ £1

I also think Paul Lawrie @ 66/1 is worth an interest, my interest bets have ended up costing me a fortune, goodluck all.
Old July 19th, 2012, 04:39
Dedicated Punter

just read this interesting observation about lytham ..." The last 5 winners of the Open at Lytham had all finished inside the top 20 at Augusta that season. There may be some logic in that as a lot of the trouble at Lytham is on the right-hand side of the hole and Augusta famously favours left handers/right hand draw" .....so might be something worth considering.

Just chucked in Angel cabrera at 200/1 , to go with Mickelson , Schwartzel, and Donald ..........he had a good us masters , and certainly knows how to play a links course. ( albeit that could be said about a lot of em )