Talk Sport Forums

Go Back   Talk Sport Forums > Poker > Poker
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Tonights 2 day deepstack....

Old February 8th, 2009, 14:43
talk sport tipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennythedip2 View Post
Good Luck Remember also players have notes and they may have you down as a 'rock' and will pass to a bet or re-raise !!!

yes mate ....but dont you mean ...cock ....
Old February 8th, 2009, 14:57
Oldham’s premier stud(retired)

Well Tony, we can’t all be wrong!! What I will say is that it is easier for us to tell you than for you to put it into practice! While Tailormade made some valid points I am not a great believer in “defending your blind at all cost” . You need to decide if someone is “at it” or they have a genuine hand. If you think they are “at it” punish them with a re raise!! I think if you introduced the “re raise” into your game the rest of your game (particularly your ability to lay big hands down) stands up very well. Good luck!!
Old February 8th, 2009, 15:12
talk sport tipster

Default Thanks Herbie....

I have tried to put this into my game a bit more over the last few months but even though i have improved this part of my game i have to agree im still a little weak when it comes to the re raise....

Tonight i will try to sit tight for a bit as there is only one more place to go until the cash and then open up a bit and try to build a stack that i can be agressive with and hopefully take me on to a win.....
Old February 8th, 2009, 17:02
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Cool about BB's

Here's the thing of it, if your in the big blind with lets say 9 5 o/s and say 4 players have flat called...well of course your going to check and be ready to check pass to any bet, as ive said to you, with any 2 cards ask yourself what flop do you want to see.... Well with 9 5 o/s there's not many combination's from about 1600 that will help because you have 4 players waiting who probably have better starting hands.
Sure if it flops 678 ...99A ..55Q ..952..or something in this nature your going to be interested but a flop like 6 7 J you can check pass to a bet.
The main thing is at what stage the tournament is at and what the chip stacks are at your table. Early on there's no need to be busy, and on the final table you can usually wait for an opportunity when you are the aggressor raising from position of the cut/off or button..
However defending your blinds can be a good move when using the first example of 9/5 o/s and 4 players have only flat called, lets say you have a semi-premium hand off QJ sooted or A9 (pretty hands), It's worth betting another 2 BB's (again this depends at what stage the tournament is at)..By raising here you've put the next 3 players under pressure because they may be thinking if they call they might get a re-raise from the last player to act !!
It's not likely you'll get them all to pass but if you do it's great because you've sent out a warning that you wont be pushed around and you've taken down a pot without a flop. Lets say you get 'one' caller, well thats fine as well because think of this, 'no matter what cards they are holding , whats the chance of them hitting a flop'
This is a crucial thought in how you play tournament poker ..Think about it, what cards could they have held to only call and not re-raise and what are the chances from a 1600 combination are they likely to hit, of course not !! ...So it's also now down to 'bottle' can you bet into a flop, or re-raise a bet.. Nearly every player, when they see a flop thinks has that helped the other player and when he/she bets they think it has OK your not going to put your tournament on the line by betting 'all-in' but if you ask the question with a bet, you'll get your answer if they call or re-raise, then you know they have a part of the flop or are looking for the 'turn' card.
Another example to do with the BB or any position really is, lets say you had JJ and treble the blinds and get a caller, the flop comes Jh 10h 3h ..It's you to bet..you bet 3 times the blinds and the other player comes right back and Say's "all-in" which commite's you to your tournament.. you could pass and say,"Ok i believe you have the flush" and think you can still get into the money, or you can say, "have they played, say Ah Js and think they are winning with top pair and nut flush draw"
Remember, there comes a time it tournaments sometimes, when you have to say," Oh well, good luck to you if you have the flush, i have top trips and cant pass" !! Even if they have the flush you still have 'outs'....
Tournaments are won and lost on these decisions but the example ive just explained is a no-brain-er... Ive always said, when you look back at a tournament win, there are usually 'three' big hands that swung it your way, you need luck as well as a bit of skill, and above all you need the poker/fairy sitting on your shoulder at the right moment

glk benny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 200px-Heaven_can_wait_poster.jpg (16.6 KB, 0 views)
Old February 8th, 2009, 17:27
talk sport tipster

Default Thanks Benny...

A great post and many helpful hints...

All three posts by yourself, Herbie and Taylor have all made complete sense and now i have to put all these things into my game...

I think my game has come along a lot in the last few months with the advice i have been given and hopefully putting all this together will give me some good wins this year....

As usual....Thanks Guys ...
Old February 8th, 2009, 17:34
Oldham’s premier stud(retired)

I just saw Tony re raise on the big blind
Old February 8th, 2009, 18:24
talk sport tipster

Default Its starting to sink in...

Old February 8th, 2009, 19:06
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Wink

...Well, what you also have to take on board, is when you know you are doing the right things, sometimes you cant understand why others do the things they do That's why it makes this game so hard to grasp, it knocks your confidence All you can do is 'grin and bear' it, and move on. Take the beats when they come and don't go back over it, we all get them !!
Old February 8th, 2009, 19:47
talk sport tipster

2 hours in and ...no one out yet.....
Old February 8th, 2009, 20:14
talk sport tipster

Default just havnt had a hand...

Short stacked now down to 13k........

still no one out.......