Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

team event

Old March 8th, 2011, 10:04
Oldham’s premier stud(retired)

http://poker.ladbrokes.com/en/poker-...pionship-teams
Old March 8th, 2011, 12:11
Ha'Way the Lads

Good Luck Guys !!

If anyone is really clueless in the PLO game (probably a Ladbrokes typo though) and wants a ringer to play instead, I'll put myself forward as said ringer.

Old March 8th, 2011, 12:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredeyes View Post
Good Luck Guys !!

If anyone is really clueless in the PLO game (probably a Ladbrokes typo though) and wants a ringer to play instead, I'll put myself forward as said ringer.

I am clueless! I wouldn’t mind some basic guidance. Starting hands etc
Old March 8th, 2011, 13:04
Dedicated Punter

If you get 4 aces... throw em away! :)
Old March 8th, 2011, 13:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
If you get 4 aces... throw em away! :)
I am worse than that! I will chase down a flush draw whilst holding 4 different suits.
Old March 8th, 2011, 15:25
Dedicated Punter

Quote:
Originally Posted by only1herbie View Post
I am worse than that! I will chase down a flush draw whilst holding 4 different suits.
Lol :)
Old March 8th, 2011, 16:15
I am Titty fancier

im just praying,players dont start timing out everyhand hoping to rise up another place , i enjoyed last time laddies did this sort of thing even with the boring time-out play. friday at work will be interesting after late nights when i win every comp at 3am,ellovegasgoodbyecash. goodluck team.
Old March 8th, 2011, 17:52
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2

Omaha is OK bit of a gambling game to me, I dont really see it as a tournament game though.. Still it should be a fun change
Old March 10th, 2011, 09:32
Ha'Way the Lads

Quote:
Originally Posted by only1herbie View Post
I am clueless! I wouldn’t mind some basic guidance. Starting hands etc

It's really quite complex to talk about tbh but here goes ...

Your playing with four cards NOT two sets of two cards, remember that it isn't holdem with four cards, the most common mistake I see NLHE players making is playing hands like AK88 - this is a shit hand in PLO, a much better hand is something like JT97, also because of the extensive amount of combinations that can be made with each next card dealt, its very, very, very important to be in position as you get to see how everyone else has reacted, perhaps to that dangerous turn card, before you put your money in the pot, so your vpip stats should be very low for ep and gradually increasing to the button where in 6-max cash games my vpip/pfr is maybe 50%, higher if it's folded to me but this is for cash games not MTT, where the winning strategy is "tight as a ducks arse" as I like to call it.

Straights, flushes and top set/FH probably win the most pots in PLO, so your starting hand should reflect this, a simple rule of thumb is out of the possible 6 hand combinations you hold preflop at least four combinations should be live.

The best hand is PLO is AAKKds or AAJTds* me I'd prefer to have AAJTds as I'll get action from KKxx. Other good hands are possible straights where if you hit the flop you create a wrap, a powerful drawing hand, for example ..

KQJTds is a monster hand preflop and I'd 3-bet with this type of hand BUT it can be dead post flop, if the flop was 388, your hand is worthless now as anyone who called the 3-bet is sure to have KKxx or similar but your representing AAxx with your 3-bet so if the flop comes QJ4ss with the suits matching yours, can you see that this is a powerful drawing hand?
You already have top 2 pair+bdfh, straight draw and flush draw, my money can't get into this pot fast enough, even if the flop comes 89J with my suits matching, I'm all in here too, as I'm drawing to the highest nut straight with flush draw. This starting combination example above is valid down the scale to perhaps 5678 at the bottom (where of course, as your going down the scale your less likely to be putting more in the pot preflop) I'd not play it any lower than this as your always gonna be drawing to the bottom end of any wrap, or "the sucker straight" as I like to call it, a nasty newbie habit.

Hands like KKxx QQxx JJxx are maybe worth a call in late position but they are only to be played as set mining, you can overset people, do not get overset yourself by playing junk like 99xx 88xx. Hands like TT88 are perhaps left alone as a newbie but I might look at the flop in late position in a 6-max cash game as you have two chances of hitting a set.

Be wary of hands like 899T, they look pretty but are actually not that successful as you need to hit the flop precisely in order to create a wrap/powerful draw, if the flop comes 67Q for example your looking to hit any 89T in order to hit the nut straight but you've got two 9's in your hand, that's an extra 25% of the 9's available for you to hit, already taken out of the equation.

Also if someone is betting the pot, on all streets, you can be almost sure they have the goods, bluffing is rarer in PLO than NLHE in my experience, it's also rarer than it should be to 3-bet preflop with anything other than AAxx, something I was trying to do more when I was playing cash PLO was to widen my 3-betting range.

Anyhoo, good luck and I'll maybe come back to this if I remember owt.

*ds = double suited, ss = single suited, x = any random card, bdf = back door flush, bdfh = back door full house
Old March 10th, 2011, 09:44

Thanks for that Tired. Worth it for this alone, I know I would have commited to hands like this.

"most common mistake I see NLHE players making is playing hands like AK88 - this is a shit hand in PLO"

Last edited by only1herbie; March 10th, 2011 at 10:09.