Go Back   Talk Sport Forums > Football > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thursdays Premier League Result

Old January 3rd, 2018, 22:47
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Default Thursdays Premier League Result

Arsenal 2-2 Chelsea: (January 03 2018)
Hector Bellerin's stoppage-time goal rescued a 2-2 draw for Arsenal in a pulsating and controversial Premier League clash with Chelsea.

It looked like Chelsea had come from behind to triumph when Marcos Alonso struck six minutes from time, after Jack Wilshere's first league goal since May 2015 had been cancelled out by an Eden Hazard penalty.

But the Gunners would not be beaten and Bellerin punished Alonso's poor clearing header with a fine finish for a share of the points - though there was still time for Chelsea's Davide Zappacosta to hit the crossbar.

Alvaro Morata had missed a glorious chance to give Chelsea a 14th-minute lead and the visitors were then indebted to a Thibaut Courtois save which pushed Alexis Sanchez's shot on to both posts.

Wilshere broke the deadlock, but there were doubts over whether the midfielder should have been on the pitch.

Already booked, Wilshere went down looking for a free-kick on the edge of the area and might have received a second yellow card from referee Anthony Taylor for simulation.

The Gunners' lead lasted just four minutes as Hector Bellerin was adjudged to have fouled Hazard, who equalised with the resulting penalty.

Alonso's effort appeared decisive, only for Bellerin to strike.

Hostilities between the teams will be renewed in a week's time, in the Carabao Cup semi-final first leg at Stamford Bridge.

Post-match reaction

Hector Bellerin and Eden Hazard had differing views on the penalty which got Chelsea back into the game in the 2-2 draw at the Emirates Stadium.

When asked for their thoughts on the penalty award, Bellerin told Sky Sports Main Event: "He's always very quick in the box. I saw the ball in the air and I tried to challenge for it.

"We both went for the ball at the same time and the referee thought it was a penalty, so we'll have to see the replay."

In response, Hazard joked: "We don't need a replay, yes it's a penalty."

Bellerin was pleased to earn his side a point, adding: "It was great. I haven't scored in a while so it was great to do it for our comeback. I'm happy with the goal but also happy with the reaction at the end of the game."

"It's non-stop football. We know whenever we play them it's always a hard game, there's always a lot of entertainment, always really hard, we work hard all week. It was a great reaction towards the end."

Hazard said: "It was 50-50. Both teams played a really good game. Maybe we should have scored more goals, we missed a lot of chances, but at the end I think a draw was a good result for both teams. We are happy."