Talk Sport Forums

Go Back   Talk Sport Forums > Football > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The 'Golden One' Returns

Old November 20th, 2019, 13:50
Dedicated Punter

Smile The 'Golden One' Returns

Jose Mourinho appointed new Tottenham manager:

Reaction from the world of football (November 20, 2019)

Tottenham acted fast to replace Mauricio Pochettino by announcing Jose Mourinho as their new manager on Wednesday morning.

Pochettino had been relieved of his duties after five-and-a-half years in charge.

Spurs, who were in the Champions League final only six months ago, have endured a tough start to the season and are currently 14th in the Premier League table.

In comes Mourinho, who has Premier League experience with Chelsea and Manchester United.

In a club statement, Mourinho commented: "I am excited to be joining a club with such a great heritage and such passionate supporters.

"The quality in both the squad and the academy excites me. Working with these players is what has attracted me."

We take a look at the reaction to the appointment from the footballing world.

Graeme Souness

"I have crossed swords with Jose many times in my career as a football pundit, recently I have got to work with him and his knowledge is exceptional, he understands our game," Souness told Sky Sports.

"He is walking into a job in our game with no surprises, he knows what's ahead of him, he knows the players he is playing against and will have a real grasp of the players he is working with.

"He has won trophies wherever he's been and I would expect him to do the same at Spurs. They've won something like two trophies in 28 years, for a big club, that's just not good enough.

"They need someone who can turn what is perceived to be attacking attractive football into a slightly more pragmatic approach that will put some silverware in the boardroom. He is a perfect fit for them."

Tottenham Hotspur Supporters' Trust
The Tottenham Hotspur Supporters' Trust have voiced some concerns

"The club has moved quickly to fill the managerial vacancy," they wrote in a statement.

"Jose Mourinho is now the manager of Tottenham Hotspur and we hope this will bring the success we all want.

"There are obviously concerns about how Jose and our club's executive board will work together, and we are sure all fans would appreciate greater clarity on how the club sees this relationship operating in practice.

"The questions around transfer policy, wages and accountability raised in our earlier statement on Mauricio Pochettino's sacking still apply and we encourage the club to communicate their plans thoroughly and transparently with their fan base.

"The club must ensure it does not find itself in the same position in two or three years' time, and we need to hear from the executive board what the long-term thinking behind this appointment is, and how it sees its role.

"As a supporters organisation, we hope for a successful future that respects the unique Tottenham Hotspur identity and the traditions Spurs fans cherish so dearly."

Harry Redknapp (Former Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp)

Redknapp spent four years at Tottenham between 2008 and 2012 and he believes that Mourinho will be 'ruthless' in trying to fix Spurs' problems.

"Pochettino was excellent but the same voice after six years starts to wear a little bit thin. People get used to the same message," he told Radio 5 Live.

"But the same players, a new face comes in – he probably hasn’t got to do anything clever or different, just give them a bit to get them going and they’ll find another 10 per cent on Saturday at West Ham.

"They’ll find a spring in their step knowing their jobs are under threat now (because) Mourinho has got to be ruthless. If he doesn’t like what he sees he’ll bomb them out and bring in people he wants.
"
Jamie Redknapp

The former Spurs man told Sky Sports: "Is he the right fit for Tottenham? It's interesting, as Jose likes to spend money, and Daniel doesn't, and Jose would want to get some really big names into the building," explained Redknapp.

"He likes experience, and isn't really one for playing young players, but you can't argue with what he's done in the game."

Jamie Carragher on Sky Sports

Speaking to Sky Sports, Carragher said: "If Jose wants to get into top-level management, you've only got to look at his CV.

"People question the Manchester United job, but his career as a whole has been hugely successful, and that's one thing Tottenham have lacked at the moment.

"As well as Pochettino has done, they haven't quite got over the line to get a trophy, and that's what Jose Mourinho does when he goes to a club."

Sam Allardyce (Sam Allardyce is currently looking for a job)

The former England manager believes that Mourinho can help to guide Spurs towards the top-end of the Premier League standings.

Speaking to TalkSport, he stated: "Tottenham is a massive club for him to get his teeth into and try to get them winning some trophies.

"Certainly he’s got the talent and quality of squad to make Tottenham a big challenger and I think they can still challenge for the top four."