Go Back   Talk Sport Forums > Football > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Everton 1-5 Atalanta

Old November 23rd, 2017, 23:57
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Default Everton 1-5 Atalanta

Everton 1-5 Atalanta:
Heavy defeat for Toffees at Goodison Park (November 23 2017)

Everton's season – like their search for a manager – continues to drift apparently rudderless after an insipid display in the 5-1 defeat against Atalanta which put the Serie A side through to the last 32 of the Europa League.

There was nothing riding on the game for the already-eliminated Toffees but the visitors found it all too easy, even discounting a missed penalty from captain Alejandro Gomez, with two goals from Bryan Cristante early in each half.

Sandro Ramirez's first strike for the club he joined in the summer gave the hosts something to fight for late on but goals from substitutes Andreas Cornelius (two) and Robin Gosens in the closing stages typified Everton's haplessness.

Caretaker coach David Unsworth's evaluation of the game's importance was evident in nine changes – retaining only Michael Keane and Jonjoe Kenny from Saturday's draw at Crystal Palace – that saw Davy Klaassen make his first start since being hauled off at half-time against Lyon a month ago and Sandro in the XI for the first time since September 28.

On the basis of their performances, along with the likes of Kevin Mirallas and Cuco Martina, it was easy to understand why they have been marginalised.

The second-lowest Goodison crowd in Everton's European history – the 17,431 beaten only by the 1,200 fewer who watched the European Cup Winners' Cup game against University College Dublin in 1984 – endured a grim night.

Post-match reaction

Wayne Rooney provided Everton caretaker manager David Unsworth with a ringing endorsement after the match.

"There's been a change of manager, it's been a positive change I believe in terms of performances, tonight aside," Rooney said on BT Sport.

"You can see that on the pitch. We have to keep trying to pick up points in the Premier Legaue and try and climb up the league.

"It's down to the board. That's their decision, since David Unsworth has come in there has been a great atmosphere amongst the players, some positive results and the players are enjoying day-to-day training, so the board have got a decision to make and I am sure they are working on it."

A "hurting" Unsworth criticised an unacceptable performance.

"The players who have been asking me for opportunities to play in the first team were given that tonight," he said.

"I asked the players to make it difficult for me to leave them out of the team on Sunday and the majority have probably made it very easy for me.

"I know there wasn't anything riding on the game, but we had paying Evertonians tonight and I stressed we had to compete - the manner we capitulated just isn't acceptable and the players know that.

"What you can't do at this level is carry players. When you're best player is an 18-year-old kid (Beni Baningime) who's only had a couple of first-team appearances, that tells you all you need to know.

"Players need to take responsibility - senior players, foreign players, young players.

"Everton fans will be disappointed with what they saw tonight and so am I."

Atalanta coach Gian Piero Gasperini was more generous to Everton.

"I don't think it was easy, although the result may give that idea. For long periods it was a tough battle," he said.