Talk Sport Forums

Go Back   Talk Sport Forums > Football > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

West Ham United 1-1 Leicester City

Old November 25th, 2017, 00:25
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Default West Ham United 1-1 Leicester City

West Ham United 1-1 Leicester City: Draw at London Stadium (November 24 2017)

West Ham secured their first point under David Moyes as Cheikhou Kouyate's header earned a 1-1 draw with Leicester.

Things were looking bleak for new boss Moyes and the Hammers when Marc Albrighton gave Leicester the lead after only eight minutes.

But Kouyate struck just before half-time to lift spirits around the London Stadium following their dreadful start to the season.

A point was not enough to haul West Ham out of the Premier League relegation zone, but a vastly improved display at least offered some hope that they can climb away from trouble.

West Ham goalkeeper Joe Hart admits their 1-1 draw against Leicester was a step in the right direction.

Hart credited the fans for getting behind the players and playing their part in a draw.

"I've got to say a big thanks to the fans," Hart told Sky Sports.

"It could have gone two ways but they choose to stick with us.

"I was stood in goal and I didn't have too much to do in the second half.

"It would have been easy for them to hammer us but they were fantastic for us.

"When we have their support, we play differently and it means the world to the players. The quality will come."

David Moyes hopes West Ham's players can use the first point gained under his reign to go on a run that will see them climb the Premier League table and improve confidence.

"I think they are low in confidence because results haven't gone their way and they've lost their manager," Moyes told Sky Sports.

"When it's like that, it's difficult and you need some things to go for you every now and again.

"After losing a goal after eight minutes we stuck at it. In the second half, we had a real good go at it, maybe in the end we could have nicked it.

"It was a start for us tonight and it's not been the best place for us.

"I thought the performance merited more because we worked really hard."

A point continued Leicester's solid, if unspectacular, start to life under their new manager Claude Puel.

The Frenchman said: "It's a draw away from home but I think it was frustrating.

"We were leading but we conceded just before half-time from a corner. We have to correct that aspect and find a clinical edge because we had chances.

"We have to kill this game after the first half. Instead West Ham grew in confidence and the atmosphere in the stadium grew. It was difficult to play in the second half."

Leicester goalscorer Marc Albrighton felt he should have been awarded a second-half penalty.

Albrighton's run into the box was ended by a challenge by Andre Ayew who told the Leicester scorer it was never a penalty. Albrighton disagreed.

"My initial thought was yes," Albrighton said.

"I spoke to him after and he said I got in front of him and put the brakes on which I don't recall doing.

"I personally thought it was a penalty, so I went down."