Go Back   Talk Sport Forums > Football > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The John Terry Celebrations

Old October 3rd, 2014, 00:46
Derby Winner

Send a message via Skype™ to bennythedip2
Default The John Terry Celebrations

John Terry finally defends himself for infamous full-kit celebration

John Terry has never apologised for donning full kit to join Chelsea's Champions League celebrations in 2012, despite not having played in the final. And that remains the case - but he now explained his actions, at least.

Terry became, for a time, the most mocked human being on Planet Earth after Chelsea won the Champions League in 2012.

The Blues skipper had to sit out the final after a red card in the semis against Barcelona, having inexplicably booted Alexis Sanchez up the bum.

But his suspension for the climactic match in Munich didn't stop him from donning full kit after the final whistle, so that he could parade around the turf with the trophy pretending that he'd played his part.

The subsequent photos splashed across newspapers and website the next day made fans of every club except Chelsea splutter on their morning coffee - and prompted literally thousands of memes at JT's expense.

Terry himself has never said a word about the jokes that were aimed his way - though he provided the most eloquent statement of all when, 12 months later, he pulled off the exact same quick-change stunt when the Blues won the Europa League.

But now, in an interview with the Daily Telegraph, he has explained why he did what he did.

"The biggest night ever for the club and I didn’t play in it," he laments. "[But] I felt a massive part of it, and the players made me feel a huge part of it. Along the way you look back at games, like the Napoli game [in the last 16] and other games along the way where you played a big part as well."

All relatively fair comment, you might think - - but then Terry makes a terrible mistake by over-egging the pudding.

"Because it’s me, people look and say ‘he’s not won it’, people like to have their digs and their pops, but I know I played a huge part along the way, in the dressing room and on the field as well," he added, "so I count myself to have won it."

Then, it really gets out of control: "No one speaks about the other 10 players who weren’t on the pitch that night as well."

Well, no, John, of course they don't. Because the other 10 players who weren't on the pitch didn't get dressed up as if to pretend that they were.

And now, just in case you thought we'd forgotten, here is one of those JT memes after that fateful night in the Spring of 2012, with John Terry claiming the credit for...

well, just about everything:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BmOmKqiCAAAezL_.jpg (49.1 KB, 1 views)